Located one mile from the Sydney CBD, the Simpsons Boutique Hotel building was erected in 1892 and is very
relevant to the English Queen Anne style and Arts and Crafts Movement of that period,
typified by its many nooks and crannies, and use of red brick and moulded timber
as distinct features. It was designed by renowned Victorian Architect John Bede
Barlow, who also designed similar houses, ‘Keadue’ in nearby Elizabeth Bay Road
and ‘St Kevins’ in Queen Street, Woollahra at the same time, as well as "St Canice's"
Catholic Church in Elizabeth Bay. The other Barlow houses are still standing in
Simpsons was originally known as ‘Killountan’ and actually consists of two adjoining
buildings – the main house at the front and a servants’ wing at the rear. The rear
wing originally had kitchens and service areas on the ground floor and staff rooms
on the first floor above with an internal servants staircase, no longer in existence.
Photos of the original owners can be seen in the front sitting room, together with
pictures of the property taken about 1900.